Sunday, January 11, 2009

light bulb moment

So the other day I skimmed through what I thought was going to be an article on the art of storytelling only to discover it was actually about past life regressions.

Despite rolling my eyes, I continued to skim lightly. I have this needle in a haystack theory that even the most oddball or off the wall theories can sometimes hold little specks of truth.

Sure enough I found one...and it wasn't so small.

Towards the end of the article the author addressed the big questions skeptics ask about such therapy, and I quite liked her answers. They led me to a new understanding of the benefits of the exercise.

The question is usually is what these people remember true? The answer apparently is yes when put that way, but we need to re-frame the question. Yes, it is all true, but what we need to ask is: is what they see true in the way history is true or true in the sense that myths are true? Is it fact or metaphor? In other words, did these things actually happen or is it a string of symbols put together by their subconscious in order to help them understand their current troubles?

The answers are apparently we don't know and that it doesn't really matter. Regardless of how they are true they are true, or at least true enough to help people gain some knowledge and improve their lives.

That may also explain why there are so many Cleopatras and so few humble shop keepers. Cleopatra has become a standard symbol in the collective unconscious, a ready made symbol easily understood. If past life regression is a type of dream, it makes sense that standard dream symbols may appear. While only one person could have possibly actually been the famous Egyptian queen at another time in history, many people may be able to feel what she may have felt, so in this odd dream they become Cleopatra. She is a vehicle to help them understand their own pain and loneliness.

It's all very interesting to contemplate, but frankly I think I'd still think twice before going around telling everyone I was Alexander the Great's chief eunuch or anything like that...

Ms. Betty

2 comments:

Betty's Goodboy said...

intreging. and that ending is sublime. kudos

Hermione said...

Have you read any of Brian Weiss's books? There are just as many slave girls, soldiers and children who died young as generals and queens. Fascinating books. I think I believe him.

Hugs,
Hermione