Monday, July 28, 2008

It was supposed to be my day off!!!

Friday.

Payday.

Who wouldn't love to have the whole day stretching out in front of them with nothing to do and maybe a few fun errands to fill it?

But nooooo, not for Ms. Betty

At 9 AM the apartment manager showed up to inspect the apartment. As we still have everything piled all over the house because of our still wet carpet, I was not happy about having someone poking around, not at 9 o'clock in the morning. Not on my day off. I wanted a long lazy cup of coffee and a chance to shuffle around in my robe for a bit before a shower and a day out on the town.

Thankfully the inspection went quickly. The management was apologetic about what the broken water heater upstairs had put us through and they understood just how we felt. A few questions and it was all over.

I started to head towards the bathroom for my shower, but there was a knock on the door. The drywall guy was here to finish the walls and ceiling. The ruined hallway happens to be the hallway leading to our bathroom, so the shower was going to have to wait.

Good workmanship takes awhile. Not that I'm complaining, he did a beautiful job, but we were sitting and waiting while he did it. Then, of course, the painter had to come in. I was really impressed. They did a fantastic job. Really above and beyond. They fixed the moldings that had been loose, put plastic down over every inch of anything that might even come close to getting messy and when they were done they cleaned everything spot by spot with a sponge. Wow, wow, and wow.

No sooner did they leave than the carpet guy showed up...

The good news: the giant fans are gone. The bad news, the carpet padding is still wet. In the carpet cleaners' professional opinion, there is nothing more to be done. The disinfectant may prevent mold from forming, but we still need the carpet replaced because water is going to keep seeping up from the pad. So that's the next battle.

But by this point, it was almost 2 o'clock in the afternoon and I still had to shower, change, go by work and get to the bank. Far from my slow relaxing day, I was suddenly in a frantic rush.

So much for my day off.

Ms. Betty

1 comment:

Betty's Goodboy said...

what was it John Lennon said? "life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans."