Monday, July 7, 2008

The Old is New Again

When Chuck and I first met I was working 12 hours a day 5 days a week as an operator at a little tiny business. We were so short staffed our 'lunch break' was taking 30 seconds to rip open a package and nuke something. Whether or not we actually got to eat it was an entirely different matter.

Chuck wasn't working because he was going to school full time. Two of his classes were online though so he had plenty of free time. Before I knew it he was rescuing me by running those little errands I didn't have time for, helping out around my apartment and walking over hot meals when I was there far too late at night. One day the manager gave him a key. If I hadn't so blasted busy I probably would have been alarmed at how fast things were moving. When his lease was up it was only natural that he gave up his place and moved in with me.

We got married, we moved up to Denver and things changed. Suddenly he was working the more hours so I took over the domestic side of things. This did not go well. At 3 months I was bored out of my mind and at 6 months if I hadn't discovered the internet I would have gone completely crazy. I still kept up with the housework, but I needed more to keep me going.

Now things have changed again. My part time job has suddenly become full time and Chuck is once again taking over in the domestic sphere. The new routine is only about two weeks old, but I can't help but be pleasantly surprised about how much better things are working. Chuck thrives in the house-husband role. He actually enjoys the meal planning, cleaning and organizing, taking care of the laundry, laying out my clothes for the morning, all the things I considered tedious chores. He even likes doing the shopping.

There is no DD or D/s element involved in this, just the normal divisions of labor that take place in any household. We're back where we started, back in our niche, and after 2 long years things seem once more right with the world.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Ms. Betty

No comments: