Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Myth, Metaphor, and BDSM

In The Power of Myth Joseph Campbell mentions an area of thought and emotion that can only be communicated in metaphor. As one becomes more experienced in the world of BDSM you begin to discover that most of the emotions involved are in that category. This is when the study of myth becomes essential to personal growth.

At their most basic, myths are metaphors. They are a code of symbols that teach us what it means to be human. The stories in myths give us a language we can use to understand and explain what happens in those dark places of our mind that come alive in the dungeon.

From the descents of Persephone and Innana to the yearly sacrifice of the Corn King, a wealth of knowledge waits in those dusty pages and ancient tales.

Heed your myths. They will teach you who you are.

Ms. Betty

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Betty,
Joseph Campbell's "Hero With A Thousand Faces" saved my life. As I read his other works and watched the "Power Of Myth" series, my head began to clear, and I knew once and for all, that what I had believed all along was true.
I love creating scenarios and using role play when I spank. I know I have helped many ladies work through their hang-ups and fears. I, in turn, have managed to work-out many deep and dark personal matters under the hand of a strong woman.
Myth is definitely a healing force, and I will be forever thankful to Dr. Campbell for showing me the truth.
I love your blog. Congratulations on "knocking another one out of the park" Ms. Betty.

With respect,

Vincent