Thursday, April 17, 2008

Somebody Hand Me A Whip!

Just like I do, my husband has certain favorite internet forums. Very different forums, naturally but he does enjoy them, and occasionally we share what is happening on our online worlds.

Recently someone posted on one of Chuck's online forums lamenting that he had an opportunity to hear Ray Bradbury speak, but that he was going to miss it because he "had to" be in a math class.

WHAT??!!

How, how, how, if you have any love for Bradbury's work (as obviously this guy does or he wouldn't be mourning over having to be elsewhere), do you pass up an opportunity like that?

Ray Bradbury is 87 years old. Just how often does he speak somewhere, and what are the odds he will be back to someplace again at this late date?

This guy doesn't even have a compelling reason for choosing the math class instead. Class is simply in session and he "has to" be there.

Now I'm all for academic dedication, and I rarely judge or question another's choices, but this one reflects a mentality that worries me. Have people become so programmed that we are now unable to make value decisions that break that programming? Has doing what we are told become so ingrained that we can't deviate or think for ourselves?

That thought scares me. It really scares me. Dammit, folks, we're people, not robots. Just where is this world headed if we forget that?

Ms. Betty

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Betty,
You are absolutely right. Many young people are slowly morphing into a mindless zombie state and are allowing themselves to be programmed to "do the right thing"(whatever that is???)
When I first read Joseph Campbell's work and saw, "Follow your bliss" as his key to happiness, it made a tremendous impression on me. Over the years, I have worked diligently to stay true to that belief. It hasn't always been easy but I have managed not to stray too far from that mindset.
My question is, how can a person profess love for someone and their work, then pass-up an opportunity like hearing them speak? Methinks he is not as loyal a follower as he makes himself out to be.
The world is in a sorry state, Milady, and it is very sad. And even though a good whipping is in order, I don't think it would do much good in his case.

Respectfully yours,

Vincent the Spanklover