Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Hose Debacle

This (link no longer functional) is completely ridiculous. Mind you, I have nothing against hose. I do wear them, or sometimes tights, in winter when I must go out in a skirt on a cold day. However, I think it's a bit petulant and immature to demand things like they be worn under slacks.

Mr. Holt, grow up. If you have to be so childish as to find a back door way to be vindictive towards women who refuse to let you dictate what they wear under their clothing then you do not deserve a management position. If you think pantyhose are bloody important you wear them. Or at least pay for them. Hose are A) ridiculously expensive and B) ridiculously fragile. If you think bare, neatly shaved legs are unprofessional looking, how do you think runs and ladders look? How many pairs of hose do you think a lady should have to go through in a day in the hazards of the work world?

Now ladies, if you in your own persons ever feel you need the professional look of hose or just don't feel comfortable bare legged, but you want something a bit more comfortable, I will share a favorite secret. I wear old fashioned stockings and garters. No I'm not kidding. I have 2 garter belts, one in white, one in black, and several pairs of stockings in various shades of black, tan, and white. Stockings allow me the more formal look of covered legs, and still let my skin breathe. Yes, I know it's a bit "retro" and a generation ago women gladly threw away garter belts and stockings for good reason, but I've found they do have their advantages. If you must have covered legs, give it a try.

Just be warned, most places these days you have to get belts and stockings through mail order, usually from lingerie sites. (Not that I think such a prospect would make anyone brave enough to read this blog blush.) JC Penney has a very nice selection of different stockings. Opt for sheer stockings if you can, they are the most comfortable. And watch out around your guy. You may find a sudden spike in his libido.

Ms. Betty

1 comment:

Hermione said...

I guess Canadian stores must be a bit more broad-minded. Most of the hosiery departments of large stores here carry stockings and garter belts. I wore them all the time, way back when before pantyhose was invented. It didn't occur to me to wear them outside the bedroom now.

Thinking outside the box!

Hugs,
Hermione